The green, social and sustainable finance market has more than quadrupled in recent years as investors increasingly look to source sustainable investment products, and issuers increasing look to ensure that their commercial transactions deliver positive social and environmental benefits. Our market experience means our team are well placed to advise issuers, intermediaries, investors, borrowers, lenders and other participants on all aspects of green, social and sustainable finance, including on:
- Bond, loan or investment lifecycle
- Issuance procedures and due diligence
- Criteria for investment
- Disclosing, monitoring and reporting the proceeds for impact conscious investors
- Establishing, and investing in, impact funds
Some of our recent work includes:
- Department of Climate Change: Preparing the national green leasing guide for legal practitioners (a “must use” first step in the formulation of a green lease and promotion of sustainable developments); preparing case studies, examples, and lessons learned with green leases (mostly Commonwealth).
- Clean Energy Finance Corporation: Advising the CEFC in relation to the financing of Phase 3 of South Australia’s Virtual Power Plant; a network of solar and Tesla Powerwall home battery systems across the State that will form the world’s largest virtual power plant when fully developed.
- Government: Advising on “Green” leases to Commonwealth and State government entities and major corporate tenants, spanning changes in risk allocation and how green leases are managed in practice.
- European Investment Bank: Advising EIB on all six of its Australian market Climate Awareness issuances, being its A$750 million 2023 Climate Awareness Bonds, issued in a single tranche, and its A$1,000 million 2028 Climate Awareness Bonds, issued in five tranches.
- ICBC: Advising on the offshore “Belt and Road” climate USD bonds issuance.
Green, social and sustainable finance investment