Aaron Bourke is a partner in the Banking and Finance team in the Brisbane office of King & Wood Mallesons where he specialises in corporate & leveraged acquisition finance, property & construction finance, project finance and asset finance. Aaron also practices in the area of credit restructurings, secondary debt trading and insolvency. He represents both financiers and borrowers which gives him an in-depth understanding of the market place and the competing tensions within a transaction. Aaron also has cross-border expertise having worked on numerous security and other finance issues in the US, PRC, Asia, UK, N.Z., Europe, Middle East and South America.
Aaron is an Adjunct Professor at the QUT Law School where he wrote and lectures the law school’s Banking & Finance subject. Aaron is also a contributor to the latest edition of the firm’s text book ‘Australian Finance Law’. He was Best Lawyer’s Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year for Brisbane in 2017.
His expertise is across multiple industries including energy & resources, mining services, aviation, agriculture, retail, health, construction, aged care, education and manufacturing.
Aaron has advised on corporate financings for Hyne & Son, Silver Chef, Pepper Home Loans, Tatts Group, Devine Limited, Alliance Airlines, Australian Country Choice, National Storage Limited, Cardno, Australian Agricultural Company and leveraged acquisition financing for Puma Energy, McAleese, Super Retail, Industrea and L J Hooker. He has worked on property and construction transactions involving the Soul, Sheraton and Oracle towers on the Gold Coast, the Mirage Resorts, the Green Island Resort and the Qantas Headquarters in Sydney. Aaron has worked on project financing for Horizon Oil, Central Queensland Port Authority, Pan Aust Limited, Macarthur Coal, GE, and numerous projects for the Clean Energy Finance Corporation.
His experience in credit restructures, secondary debt trading and insolvency includes credit restructures, debt trades and related work involving Raptis, Octaviar (MFS) entities, HMP Group, WOW Sight and Sound, Juniper entities (Soul) and ABC Learning.
Aaron has drafted a complete package of retail and commercial documents for Bank of Queensland and advised on regulatory and integration issues.
Show moreShow less
- Corporate financings for household names such as Hyne & Son, Silver Chef, Pepper Home Loans, Tatts Group, Devine Limited, Alliance Airlines, Australian Country Choice, National Storage Limited, Cardno, Australian Agricultural Company
- Property financings for the construction or acquisitions of the Soul, Sheraton and Oracle towers on the Gold Coast, the Mirage Resorts, the Green Island Resort and the Qantas Headquarters in Sydney
- Asset and construction finance for the construction of tug boats in China for Half-Tide Marine and Riverwijs
- Asset finance for the acquisition or lease of aircraft by Alliance Airlines, Jet Engine Leasing, Virgin and Qantas
- Project financing for Horizon Oil, Central Queensland Port Authority, Pan Aust Limited, Macarthur Coal, GE, and numerous projects for the Clean Energy Finance Corporation
- Refinance of the Folkestone Australian Education Trust debt including establishment of security trust structures to enable both bank debt and US private placements
- Australian counsel for an international syndicate of banks providing global facilities for Westfield
- Drafted a complete package of retail and commercial documents for Bank of Queensland and advised on regulatory and integration issues.
- Queensland Law Society
- Adjunct Professor (QUT Law School)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (Fellow)
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia.
- 1991-1996: Articled Clerk, Primrose Couper Cronin & Rudkin, Solicitors
- 1996: Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
- 1997: Solicitor, Primrose Couper Cronin & Rudkin, Solicitors
- 1997-1998: Banking Lawyer, RBS Trust Bank, UK
- 1998-2000: Banking Lawyer, Chase Manhattan Bank, UK
- 2000: Senior Lawyer, Clayton Utz, Solicitors
- 2001-2003: Senior Associate, Clayton Utz, Solicitors
- 2001: Australian Institute of Company Directors Diploma
- 2003 - 2007: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane
- 2005: Masters in Business Administration, Australian Graduate School of Management
- 2008 - 2012: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane.
- 2012 - Present: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Brisbane.