Briana is a Special Counsel in our Brisbane office with a broad range of transactional experience across securitisation, covered bonds, receivables financing and derivatives.
She is skilled at transaction structuring, project management, innovative problem solving to achieve legal, tax, regulatory and commercial outcomes, communicating with stakeholders, legal drafting, and training commercial teams.
Briana began her career with King & Wood Mallesons in Australia, and has spent three years working in King & Wood Mallesons’ London office before returning to practice in Brisbane. In addition to her private practice experience, she has benefitted from working in-house at QIC, Australia’s third largest institutional investment manager, during which she enhanced her commercial focus and business skills.
Debt Capital Markets
- Westpac: advised Westpac as arranger and senior financier of a multi-seller, multi-currency trade receivables facility for the Asia-Pacific subsidiaries of Westcon International Limited including note and overdraft facility funding in A$, NZ$ and US$.
- WorkPac: advised on its trade receivables financing platform, including a A$140 million securitisation trust with mezzanine bond issue and various bilateral facilities.
- RESIMAC: advised on its Premier Series 2016-2 term securitisation.
- Suncorp: advised in connection with its Apollo RMBS term securitisations and its ongoing covered bonds issuances and programme updates.
- RedZed Lending Solutions: advised in respect of financing the acquisition of a $240 million business and asset finance loan book from ME Bank, restructuring of warehouse funding facilities for residential and commercial loans, and public term securitisations in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- AA plc: advised on its £1.14 billion refinancing within a whole of business securitisation framework, including a £200 million placing and open offer to existing investors, a £735 million offering of Class B Notes and a £209 million repayment of senior debt facilities.
- First Names Group: advised in connection with the refinancing and syndication of its £77 million corporate funding and working capital facilities.
- Pepper Australia Pty Ltd: advised on financing the acquisition of an AU$5 billion residential mortgage loan portfolio from GE Capital Australia and New Zealand.
- ANZ: advised on the establishment of ANZ's US$20,000,000,000 Global Covered Bond Programme and initial issuance of $US1.25 billion in covered bonds, and ongoing issuances.
- ANZ: advised on the establishment of a new $290 million receivables and corporate financing and bank guarantee funding package for ERM Power.
- Auswide Bank: advised on its ABA Trust 2017-1 RMBS term securitisation.
- NAB: advised NAB as arranger in connection with various RMBS and ABS securitisations.
- Confidential sovereign wealth fund: advised on its £780 million acquisition of a commercial real estate asset subject to £380 million of securitised debt.
- Martin McIver (Chief Financial Officer, WorkPac) - “Briana has far exceeded our expectations. Her devotion to the project, commerciality and attention to detail has been outstanding (even when she was unwell). She represents the broader KWM team extremely well.”
- Guy Young (Senior Associate, Cerberus Capital Management) - “Briana was excellent/ very commercial throughout [the transaction] considering the time we brought KWM into the process."
- Martin Saunders (Head of Commercial and Non-Conforming Funding, Challenger Financial Services Group) - “I would like to particularly thank [Briana], for going above and beyond on [her] days off."
- Aron Rattew (Head of Legal, Corporate and Investments, Challenger Limited) - “On behalf of the Challenger team, I just want to say thank you so much for all your work on this transaction. Your commitment, technical knowledge and commerciality really stood out. It was certainly intense - I can hardly believe what we have achieved in three weeks! We look forward to the next one."
- Gary Sly (Executive Director, Structured Capital Markets, Global Markets, ANZ) - "Thanks so much for your support during this transaction; at times we perhaps take your expertise for granted but its projects like this one where our trusted partners shine through."
- Martin McIver (Chief Financial Officer, Workpac) - "Words cannot express our gratitude for your amazing support and guidance over the past many months. I cannot imagine how we would have coped without the KWM team. We know it has been a long process and we are extremely grateful for your patience and perseverance."
- Luke Chesson (Head of Structured Finance Services, NAB) - "I just wanted to say thank you. We appreciate your advice, patience, and support over the past few months. It was a long road, and we wouldn’t have got there without your help."
- Cristina Chang (Managing Director, Banking, Capital Markets and Advisory, Citibank Hong Kong) - “Thanks very much Briana for your help over the last couple of weeks. Really appreciate your responsiveness, focus, commercial approach and ability to adapt to the special dynamics of the situation”
- 2010: High Court – Australia
- 2009: Supreme Court – Queensland – Australia
- Australian Securitisation Forum
- 2009 - 2012, Solicitor, Mallesons Stephens Jacques
- 2012 - 2013, Lawyer, QIC Limited
- 2013 - 2016, Managing Associate, King & Wood Mallesons (London)
- 2016 - 2021, Senior Associate, King & Wood Mallesons (Brisbane)
- 2021 - present, Special Counsel, King & Wood Mallesons (Brisbane)
- 16 Jan 2017 - 6 Feb 2017: National Australia Bank Limited
- 6 Jun 2016 - 15 Jul 2016: National Australia Bank Limited