Chris Fox is one of Australia's leading commercial litigation lawyers. He has over 35 years of experience, and has been with King & Wood Mallesons for more than 26 years.
Chris has expertise in many types of dispute related matters, including contract, corporate, consumer law, competition, energy and resources, partnership disputes, telecommunications, energy and resources, civil claims, and Royal Commissions and Boards of Inquiry.
Chris has been recognised over many years as a leading dispute resolution and litigation practitioner in numerous international and Australian journals and directories. These publications include Chambers Global and Chambers Asia, Best Lawyers (eight separate categories), Doyle’s Guides, Which Lawyer? Yearbook, Practical Law's Global Counsel 3000, the Asia Pacific Legal 500, Euromoney's Expert Guides - Litigation Lawyer, PLC’s Practical Law Multi-Jurisdictional Guide – Dispute Resolution, Asia Law, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers and Euromoney's Expert Guide to Commercial Arbitration.
Chris was a member of the Partnership Committee of King & Wood Mallesons from 2009 – 2014, and was a member of the global International Management Committee of King & Wood Mallesons from 2013-2018.
Chris is also a member of the Audit & Risk Committee of the Supreme Court of Victoria, and (since 2013) of the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board of Racing Victoria.
- Solicitors Assisting the Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements
- ENGIE (formerly GDF Suez Australian Energy) in Board of Inquiry proceedings and separate Supreme Court proceedings initiated by Environment Protection Authority and WorkSafe Victoria in relation to the 2014 complex of fires at the Hazelwood Coal Mine
- Regis Group in the Royal Commission into Aged Care and Safety
- Spin Holdco in Commercial Court proceedings concerning the acquisition by the Babcock & Brown Group of Coinmach Services Corporation of the US
- Lion Dairy & Drinks in relation to the restructuring of its national distribution networks
- AMP Limited in the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- Coles in Federal Court proceedings by the ACCC over Coles' "Baked Today Sold Today" marketing claims
- Future Fund Board of Guardians in relation to Commercial Court proceedings by AusSuper over Future Fund's acquisition of Perth Airport
- GDF Suez Australian Energy in Water Act (VCAT) and Supreme Court proceedings concerning the Morwell Main Drain and the Hazelwood Mine
- Lion-Dairy & Drinks in Commercial Court proceedings concerning the sale of Berri Limited
- Lion-Dairy & Drinks Pty Ltd in Federal Court proceedings involving damages claims by NSW haulage contractors under the NSW Independent Contractors Act
- Other leading law firms in relation to confidential partnership disputes.
- The Municipal Association of Victoria as representative of the Victorian local government sector in the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission
- Telstra in Federal Court proceedings by Optus concerning Telstra's "The Only 4G" claims
- Chemtura Corporation in Federal Court class action proceedings concerning alleged cartel activity in relation to the supply of rubber chemicals
- Aquila Resources on matters arising out of its joint ventures with Vale in the Bowen Basin in Queensland
- MGA Entertainment, Inc of the USA in Federal Court proceedings in relation to its Distribution Agreement with Funtastic Limited
- Telstra in Federal Court proceedings by the ACCC concerning Telstra's "Everywhere you need it" marketing campaign
- Wesfarmers in Supreme Court proceedings concerning the marketing and distribution arrangements of the Coles Group
- BHP in relation to the Senate Inquiry into Proposed New Mining Taxes
- BHP in Commercial Court proceedings against Esso in relation to the fire and explosion at Longford
- Lion in various Federal Court and Supreme Court proceedings in relation to the proposed acquisition of Coopers by Lion
- Telstra in Federal Court and Supreme Court proceedings arising from the termination of the dealership agreement with Mobileworld (Crazy John's)
- Telstra in network access pricing proceedings before the Australian Competition Tribunal
- Telstra in various claims by and against Optus and by the ACCC in relation to marketing claims and activities
- Crown Casino in various claims and matters relating to the operations of the Casino
- Telstra in Federal Court proceedings against News Limited concerning use of NRL footage on the internet and other media
- British American Racing in the coronial inquiry into the fatality at the 2001 Australian Grand Prix
- Sensis and Telstra in Federal Court proceedings for copyright infringement and misleading and deceptive conduct in relation to the Yellow Pages "Goggomobil" advertisements
- The Governor-General of Australia in civil proceedings for assault brought against him in the Supreme Court of Victoria
- 1985: Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws, University of NSW (Medal in Law)
- 1985 - 1987: Solicitor, Stephen Jaques Stone James, Sydney
- 1987 - 1990: Solicitor, Herbert Smith, London
- 1991 - 1993: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 1993 - 1997: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 1997 - 2019: Partner, King & Wood Mallesons, Melbourne