Dominic is a Special Counsel with over 17 years’ experience in legal practice who specialises in providing advice to the energy and resources sector. He is a key member of the King & Wood Mallesons Projects Group and has particular expertise in the development and operation of mining and oil and gas projects. Dominic has a wide variety of domestic and cross border M&A expertise, including 5 years working in Tokyo for Japanese trading and power companies.
Dominic brings a unique range of commercial expertise to his practice, having also worked in-house for Origin Energy and as the primary legal adviser for an operating coal mine in Queensland. He has also acted for clients in the power and infrastructure sectors and is a knowledgeable and trusted pair of hands for power and infrastructure projects.
Oil & Gas Experience
- Origin Energy: development and operation of its conventional and unconventional oil and gas projects and joint ventures, both on-shore in the Beetaloo, Perth, Surat and Cooper Basins and offshore in the Otway, Carnarvon and Bonaparte basins, as well as offshore New Zealand. Advising in respect of gas marketing, sales and transportation, regulatory issues and disputes.
- Origin Energy: acquisition of a 27.77% interest in the Otway Gas Project (offshore) for $270M. Acquisition and farmin of an interest in Cooper-Eromanga Basin exploration permits in 2019. Advising in respect of Origin’s $231M sale of its Ironbark project to APLNG.
- APLNG: key legal adviser to the APLNG domestic gas marketing team. Advising in respect of APLNG’s joint ventures with Santos and GLNG and gas transportation and processing arrangements.
- Bridgeport Energy: advising on its acquisition of interests in numerous Queensland petroleum tenements from Arrow Energy.
- Itochu Corporation: LNG purchase agreements.
- Kyushu Electric: acquisition of an interest in the Wheatstone LNG Project and long term LNG purchase agreement.
- Isaac Plains Coal Management (Vale, Sumitomo JV): providing advice on all aspects of the operating mine and development of a new mine, including negotiating mining services agreements, reviewing precedent, regulatory advice on applications and renewals, overlapping tenements, landholder access arrangements, port and rail agreements and water supply arrangements.
- Eagle Downs Coal Management (Vale, Aquila JV): providing advice on all aspects of mine development including land access, notices of entry and conduct and compensation arrangements, port and rail access and user agreements, and conditional user agreements, water supply, transportation and licence agreements, water infrastructure funding agreement, procurement and services agreements, overlapping tenement arrangements, and drafting petroleum lease applications.
- J-Power: $360M acquisition of a 10% interest in the Maules Creek Mine Project and negotiation of long term coal sale agreement.
- Itochu Corporation: acquisition of interests in the Ravenworth North, Cumnock, Wandoan and Rolleston thermal coal mines, Roper Bar iron ore mine and the Lake Maitland and Tallaringa uranium mining projects.
- Cape Flattery Silica Mines QLD (Mitsubishi): advice in relation to the renewal of mining tenements and negotiation of land access arrangements.
- Industrea: advising in relation to its vendor due diligence for the sale of its $700M mining services business to GE.
- Adani: advice in relation to the development of its Carmichael Coal Mine Project, including review of port and rail arrangements and land access arrangements.
- Xstrata Coal Queensland (now Glencore): providing advice in relation to new developments, strategic cropping land and land access arrangements.
Port and Rail
- Marubeni: advice in relation to joint bidding documents for the Northwest Rail Project.
- Itochu Corporation: advice in relation to joint bidding documents for the Gold Coast Light Rail Project.
- Queensland Treasury Corporation: undertaking legal due diligence and providing legal advice in relation to the potential sale of Gladstone Port.
- Delta Electricity: advice in relation to its proposed rail haulage contract tender process for the Cobbora coal mine.
- WICET: advice in relation to the Surat Basin Rail Project.