Gilles is a Consultant in the firm’s Projects team based in Sydney. Having spent over 13 years in Hong Kong SAR, Gilles brings a wealth of corporate and projects experience across the APAC region. He regularly advises clients on corporate transactions under Hong Kong/English law (mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, restructuring) and on infrastructure projects in various sectors, including waste, water, transport, renewables, energy and telecoms throughout Asia.
Gilles is admitted as solicitor in New South Wales (Australia), Hong Kong, England and Wales and a French avocat. He completed the last year of his honours degree at Boston University School of Law and holds a DESS in International Business Law from the University of Lyon III - Jean Moulin as well as an LL.M from the University of Melbourne.
Gilles’ experience prior to joining King & Wood Mallesons includes:
- International Finance Corporation (part of the World Bank) and the Government of Timor-Leste: Acted on the structuring and procurement of the Tibar Bay Port PPP Project (IJGlobal Asian PPP Deal of the Year, 2019), advising IFC and the Government of Timor-Leste on 2 subsequent PPPs (transport and healthcare projects)
- International Finance Corporation: advised on the structuring and procurement of municipal waste and street lighting PPP projects in India
- Airport operator: in relation to their bids for greenfield and brownfield airport projects in Myanmar
- Orange Telecom: in relation its bid for GSM telecom licenses in Myanmar
- Leading environmental services provider: in relation to a bid for the upgrade and the operation of two water treatment plants in Macau
- Energy company: in relation to the financing of the expansion of a hydroelectric power plant in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- ExxonMobil, Saudi Aramco, Sinopec: advised consortium in relation to the largest integrated refining and petrochemicals sino-foreign joint venture in China
- Fashion brands: such as SMCP, Lacoste, Aigle, Gant, The Kooples, ba&sh, Petit Bateau, Yves Rocher, Leonard, Giuseppe Zanotti, Balmain) in relation to their distribution strategy in the APAC region and ancillary corporate/M&A activities
- Leading manufacturer of steel pipes for the oil and gas industry: in relation to the acquisition of a minority stake in a PRC company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Galeries Lafayette: in relation to a joint venture with Hong Kong based retail group for the development of department stores in the PRC