John Canning has been practising in Aviation and Asset finance for over 29 years, having working in London, Hong Kong and Sydney. John practises English as well as Australian law and is internationally recognised for his experience in cross border structured finance transactions, particularly in the asset and aviation sectors.
John also has extensive experience in asset and trade finance transactions and has been involved with the design and implementation of the Personal Property Securities Legislation (PPS) with the Attorney General's Department and Senate Inquiries. John is now advising clients on the impact of the PPS on their business and products.
John’s experience has been internationally recognised through his work on asset and aviation by being appointed to the legal Advisory Panel for the Aviation Working Group, a worldwide industry body advising on Aircraft Security and the Cape Town Convention and other Aviation related issues.
John is ranked Band 1 for Asset Financing across all leading legal directories in Australia and Band 3 for Aircraft Financing in Chambers & Partners, Asia-Pacific.
"John Canning is respected by peers and clients alike, with clients highlighting him as an "experienced aircraft finance partner." Fellow lawyers endorse him as a "market leader" in the asset financing space and he is an established expert in cross-border structured asset finance transactions. He has notable experience acting for banks, borrowers and sponsors in the Chinese market." - Chambers & Partners
Show moreShow less
- Banks and equity providers in financing, finance leasing and operating leasing for Aircraft for Qantas and Virgin Blue. Some of these transactions have involved the backing of the US Export-Import Bank and European ECAs
- Banks in the documenting, financing and leasing of Aircraft transactions for offshore Airlines under English Law
- Banks and finance houses on financing and leasing of other equipment such as rolling stock and vessels
- Borrowers, banks and arrangers on structured property finance transactions involving commercial and residential buildings
- Acquirers and banks in acquisition financing of leasing companies
- Parties setting up funding platforms for their leasing and finance businesses.
- Acting for the Commonwealth (CASA and Department of Infrastructure and Transport) in drafting laws and regulations on the implementation of the Cape Town Convention relating to taking security over Aircraft and providing advice on the implementation of this international Treaty.
- John has also been involved in the Personal Property Securities for the firm assisting industry and liaising with the Attorney-General's Department about the draft legislation
- Australian Equipment Lessors Association
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Society of England & Wales.