Murray Kellock is a partner in the Workplace & Employee Relations practice in the Melbourne office where he specialises in industrial relations and employment law. He has over 15 years of experience in advising employers in various industries including banking and financial services, property and construction, manufacturing, maritime / shipping, transport, insurance, local government, food production, tertiary education and electricity.
Murray's expertise encompasses all aspects of the Fair Work Act. He has experience in discrimination / equal opportunity law, unfair, unlawful and wrongful dismissal claims and employment dispute settlements, including senior executive departures. He has worked on the industrial relations and employment aspects of outsourcing, sale and transfer of businesses, corporate restructuring and redundancy.
He has drafted and advised on a wide range of contracts, including executive contracts, independent contractor arrangements and workplace agreements. He has advised on OH&S matters and on tactics and strategies to deal with industrial action, such as injunctive relief, orders to stop or prevent industrial action and termination of bargaining periods.
Murray was nominated as a leading individual in the area of employment law by Chambers Global Guide 2008.
Show moreShow less
- Advised several large employers on the implications of the recent significant industrial law reforms for their business, including Sensis, Caterpillar, Microsoft and National Australia Bank among others
- Advised the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing on all industrial and employment related aspects arising from their recent takeover of the Mersey Hospital in Tasmania
- Advised Caterpillar on its industrial strategy and assisted with enterprise bargaining negotiations with the AMWU and NUW
- Advised NAB in a complex and strategically critical industrial dispute with the FSU which culminated in a three day arbitration before the Federal Commission
- Acted for NAB in relation to Federal Court proceedings brought by a former senior executive
- Advised large corporate clients including NAB, Tabcorp and Sensis on industrial relations and employment issues associated with the sale, purchase and restructuring of businesses, including outsourcing of activities
- Advised large corporate clients in relation to discrimination and sexual harassment claims
- Acted for a number of substantial Australian corporations and institutions in respect of both drafting and negotiating contracts of employment for CEOs (and other senior executives) and claims relating to termination of employment, including unfair contracts, unfair dismissal and breach of contract.
- 1987: Bachelor of Commerce, University of Melbourne
- 1990: Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Melbourne
- 1991: Articled Clerk, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1992 - June 1996: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- July 1996 - June 1999: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
- 1996: Six-month secondment to BHP Transport
- 1997: Master of Laws, Monash University, specialising in industrial relations and employment law
- July 1999 - December 1999: Senior Associate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 2000: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
- 2002 - present: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne.
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria
- Australian Labour Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Editor of the Employment FactBook published by the Centre for Professional Development.