Nick Testro is a Special Counsel in the Projects Group of King & Wood Mallesons, based in our Brisbane office. Nick’s key practice areas are in the real estate, energy and resources sectors. Nick provides specialist advice and representation in relation to native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, Aboriginal land, mining, water, carbon, and litigation. Nick’s clients are from the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. Nick holds a Bachelor of Arts, a Graduate Diploma of Environmental Science, a Juris Doctor and has recently completed a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne (graduating December 2019). Nick has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a rising star in native title.
Native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage and Mining
- Acting for and advising Department of Defence in relation to indigenous land use agreement and cultural heritage arrangements for new military training areas in Queensland.
- Acting for and advising Telstra in relation to native title, Aboriginal land and cultural heritage compliance for site acquisitions in Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria.
- Acting for and advising Telstra in relation to native title claims across Australia to which Telstra is a respondent party.
- Acting for and advising APA in relation to cultural heritage obligations and agreements on various matters in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- Acting for and advising RES Australia in relation to compliance with Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003 (Qld) for various solar and wind farm projects.
- Acting for and advising Urbex (a BMD company) in development of cultural heritage management plan and native title compliance for a residential development in Mackay.
- Acting for and advising Pembroke Resources on native title and cultural heritage compliance for Olive Downs project.
- Acting for and advising BHP in relation to various issues under Queensland special agreements laws.
- Advising Pembroke Resources regarding water entitlements and obligations for proposed mining project, and negotiating water supply agreement with bulk water supplier for Central Queensland.
- Advising Sinosure regarding Queensland and Commonwealth water frameworks, and water entitlements in place for proposed purchase of large cotton farm.
- Advising Eastern Australia Agriculture in relation to water rights and obligations for large water supply dams for cotton farm.
- Advising BHP in relation to complex water supply arrangements and entitlements for various mines in Queensland.
- Advising Clean Energy Regulator on interaction of Commonwealth carbon faming laws with Queensland land laws and native title laws.
- Advising Seqwater in relation to its obligations under Biosecurity Act 2014 (Qld) on water and other assets as bulk water supplier for South Eastern Queensland.
- Advising Intergen in relation to carbon emissions caps under safeguard mechanism for power station refinancing.
- Advising Department of Defence regarding water entitlements frameworks in Queensland and Northern Territory and nuisance claims for class actions.
- Acting for and advising Nuga Nuga Aboriginal Corporation in relation to application under Judicial Review Act 1991 (Qld) in Supreme Court of Queensland to review delegate’s decision under Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003 (Qld).
- Acting for and advising various entities as respondent parties to native title determination applications in the Federal Court, including SunWater, TransGrid, North Queensland Bulk Ports and Glencore.
Acting for and advising Urbex (a BMD company) in Land Court proceeding for approval of cultural heritage management plan for a residential development in Mackay.