Sean is Special Counsel in KWM’s
Technology Law team, with extensive experience in the technology,
telecommunications and defence sectors and a long history of advising clients
on technology contracting, intellectual property, data security and privacy
Sean also acts in M&A
transactions for technology and defence clients and in commercial and
regulatory matters in the digital and cryptocurrency exchange space.
He has published numerous
articles in the cyber resilience field.
In May 2017, Sean attended the
NIST Cybersecurity Framework Workshop in Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA and has
shared learnings from the Workshop with clients in Melbourne, Canberra and
Sean has given presentations to
a number of groups and organisations on cybersecurity and the law.
In August 2017, Sean was a
contributor to the “Cyber resilience: what role can cyber insurance play?” roundtable
discussion at the National Security College, Australian National University
Before qualifying as a lawyer,
Sean worked in the Strategic and International Policy program, North America
branch, at the Commonwealth Department of Defence in Canberra and subsequently
was Assistant Director, Atomic Test Litigation, at the Commonwealth Department
of Primary Industries and Energy in Canberra.
Private sector legal practice
- September 2009 – present: Special Counsel, M&A (Technology Law) – King & Wood Mallesons (Melbourne)
- October 2009 to August 2019: Senior Associate/Special Counsel, Commercial Group (Technology, Media and Telecoms team) – Maddocks Lawyers (Melbourne)
- December 2000 (Melbourne) to October 2009: Solicitor/Senior Associate, Technology, Media and Telecoms Group – King & Wood Mallesons
- January 1998 to December 2000: Solicitor, Dispute Resolution Group – Herbert Smith Freehills (Canberra)
- 1996 – 1998: Assistant Director, Atomic Test Litigation Program, Coal and Minerals Division, Department of Primary Industries and Energy, Canberra.
- 1993 – 1996: Executive Officer in the North America and Intelligence Branch, Strategic and International Policy Program, Intelligence Policy and Joint Defence Facilities Directorates, Commonwealth Department of Defence, Canberra.
- 1993: Completed Graduate Administrative Assistant (GAA) program at Commonwealth Department of Defence, Canberra. Rotations through International Policy Division, Defence Science and Technology Organisation and Defence Intelligence Organisation.
- 2000 (Victoria, Supreme Court)
- 1998 (Australian Capital Territory, Supreme Court)
- 1998 (Federal Court and High Court)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University (1998)
- Bachelor of Laws, Australian National University (1998)
- Master of Arts (Strategic and Defence Studies), Australian National University (1993) (recipient of Commonwealth Department of Defence funded scholarship)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours First Class), University of Adelaide (1991)
- Bachelor of Arts (majoring in politics and international relations), University of Adelaide (1990)