08 April 2021

King & Wood Mallesons advises MAPFRE on its joint venture with Iberdrola for the investment in renewable energy projects

King & Wood Mallesons (“KWM”) has advised MAPFRE on its strategic alliance with the energy group Iberdrola for the incorporation of a joint venture aimed to the investment in renewable energy projects. This is a pioneering co-investment vehicle where MAPFRE is the majority shareholder with an 80% stake, while Iberdrola holds the remaining 20%.

The new entity will have 230 MW of green projects, both wind and photovoltaic, from Iberdrola’s portfolio. The agreement foresees adding more operating assets, as well as new renewable energy development projects of the energy company’s portfolio, reaching 1,000 MW.

The KWM legal team that is collaborating with MAPFRE in this project is coordinated by M&A Partner Roberto Pomares. Other professionals involved in the deal are Energy Partner Gonzalo Olivera and Senior Associates Victoria Ruenes (M&A) and Alberto Artés (Energy).

Roberto Pomares says: “despite the global economic crisis, the energy sector in Spain, especially renewables, is demonstrating its strength. If the activity in the sector remained high during 2020, we think that this trend will continue throughout 2021. This new project between MAPFRE and Iberdrola is a clear example of the interest that the Spanish renewable energy sector has for investors, both national and international".

Through this alliance MAPFRE reinforces its commitment with sustainable investments in Spain. To date, the insurance group has been making all these investments in alternative assets through real estate, infrastructure and private capital funds. 

Media Contact

Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    You might also be interested in

    King & Wood Mallesons' Funds team has advised GED Capital on the launch of its first infrastructure fund, with a target size of €200 million

    02 November 2021

    Gonzalo Fernández Contreras, Senior Associate at the KWM Madrid office, was awarded Lawyer of the Year M&A in the Iberian Lawyer Forty under 40 Awards

    24 September 2021

    King & Wood Mallesons is advising Teset Capital on the structuring of its €400 million investment vehicle Teset Infrastructure Fund I

    08 September 2021

    Senior Associate Victoria Ruenes, highlighted as rising star in the ranking "Top Women in the Legal Sector – M&A, Spain 2021”

    26 July 2021

    This site uses cookies to enhance your experience and to help us improve the site. Please see our Privacy Policy for further information. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive these cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

    For more information on which cookies we use then please refer to our Cookie Policy.