Effective advice built on strong foundations
Healthcare and pharmaceutical companies come to our law firm not just because we have the right expertise or the best people, but because we put in the work it takes to understand the sector.
With scientific advances, ever-changing government regulation, as well as strict ethical considerations, navigating healthcare legislation is rarely straightforward. So we make sure our legal advice is based on a comprehensive knowledge of current developments in the industry. We scour the legal and commercial developments in pharmaceuticals and in medicine as they happen, and we host annual seminars for our clients so that they, and we, can stay at the cutting edge.
Areas of law we advise pharmaceutical and healthcare clients on include intellectual property, regulation, commercial, competition and corporate law. We know that sometimes you will have to move fast to get a deal done, or to respond to an issue, so we focus on making sure you get a straight answer quickly.
Our lawyers advise companies working in:
- Pharmaceuticals – including originators and generics
- Research and development
- Medical devices
- Health insurance
- Health services provision
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Aged care and retirement villages.
Show moreShow less
We also advise private equity firms, investors and financial advisers to the sector.
Our recent work in the healthcare and pharmaceuticals sector includes advising:
- Cardinal Health in its US$470 million acquisition of Zuellig Pharma China, a private company and the largest drug importer in China
- Genzyme, the world’s third largest biotech firm, on the establishment of a research and development wholly foreign-owned enterprise (WFOE) in Beijing
- Fresenius Medical Care Asia Pacific on acquiring a leading Chinese pharmaceutical company
- Ranbaxy on its successful application for a declaration of non-infringement against AstraZeneca in relation to the marketing of generic escitalopram
- NicOx SA on a worldwide distribution and licensing deal with Rapid Pathogen Screening
- An Israeli-Swiss pharmaceuticals group on its licence-out and grant of distribution rights for a drug for treatment of insomnia
- A private UK company on the 2013 confidential acquisition of a number of FDA marketing authorisations from a major generic company
- CVC Asia Pacific and Ironbridge on the AUS$1.4 billion sale of the Affinity Health hospitals to Ramsay Health Care Public Private Partnerships
- Infrashore on the negotiation and preparation of soft and hard facilities management contracts for the Royal North Shore Hospital Redevelopment PPP and on issues arising during a dispute over staffing levels
- The project financiers of the recently built Gold Coast University Hospital.
"The firm was thoroughly professional and supportive at all times. Their advice was detailed and sound, but also extremely practical at the same time."
See our Life Sciences & Healthcare Update and Alert for the latest news and insights across the EU.